About Me

I am a year 13 student at Bramcote Hills College Sixth Form and I have created this blog as a way to present the Media Studies coursework that i have done and created for my A level grade.

Monday 20 February 2012

Evaluation Activity 1 - In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

There are many ways in which my film trailer has used, developed and challenged forms and conventions of real media products. Below are screengrabs from my trailer and below the images are explanations as to why they either use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products.
1: This is the title of the film. It appears near the end of the trailer rather than at the front which challenges some conventions as a lot of the titles ar at the start, however, it also uses some conventions as a lot of trailers also have the title at the end of the trailer. This is because it makes the title more memorable for the target audience as if they like the look of the film then they will remember its name.

2: This is an example of a setting within my trailer. It challenges conventions of a real media product because it is used in two shots that are parallel to each other, whereas they would normally be different or seperate. I did this because the setting is the same and will therefore show off the two different personalities of the characters.

3: This is an example of using props within my trailer. This simply follows and develops the use of props in real media products as it is getting the point of the scene across to the target market and helps the target market to understand what is going to happen within the film.

4: This is an example of camerawork and editing within my trailer. This follows conventions of a real media product as there will always be a variety of different camera shots and angles used, therefore I have incorporated this into my film trailer, for example, usng close ups which the example above demonstrates.

5: This is an example of the font and style of text that is used within my trailer. This doesnt follow conventions of a real media product as the font is more outgoing and stands out more than text does in real media products, I chose this font because I thought the target audience would relate to it more and find it more interesting to read.

6: This is an example of how the story is told through my trailer. In my trailer there is a series of texts that explains how the main characters got from best friends to fighting over the same boy. This challenged conventions as this would usually be done with dialogue and a series of scenes from the film.

7: This is an example of the genre of the film and how my trailer suggests the genre. My trailer suggests a romantic comdey because the colour pink is used a lot for the background setting of the text, you also see the two main characters fighting over the same boy which represents romance and comedy.

8: This is an example of how the characters are introduced within my trailer. In some of the trailers I have researched you see the main characters face and then their name or someone saying their name, my trailer challenges this convention as the target audience doesnt find out the name of the character, just their personality and this will make them want to see the film and find out who they are.

9: This is an example of special effects within my trailer. This develops the forms and conventions of a real media product as there are usually a lot of trainsitions and zooming effects within trailers, in my trailer you see a special effect but dont realise it is there, in the example, the scene has been made mirrored so that you see the otherside of the character, this makes it seem more upbeat and fast paced.

No comments:

Post a Comment